- Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer / Contextual Studies Lead / Research Lead – Screen Practice Research Group
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5640
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Creative Technologies
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I am a lecturer within School of Creative Technologies at University of Portsmouth. In the past I taught for several years an MA course about Arab Cinemas in the School of Oriental Studies, University of London and a Film History course at Imperial College, London. My background and interests combine film theory and practice.
I currently teach contextual studies across the BA courses in Television and Film Production (TVFP) and Animation, as well as practical units on non-fiction filmmaking.
My research stems from a cultural studies approach to film. I am interested in the intersection of cinema and dominant discourses, economies of production and political and social environments. Thus far, both the documentary films I made and my academic research revolved around issues of identity, memory, migration and exile, primarily in Israel/Palestine. Theoretically, I place myself in the fields of Middle East Cinema, Transnational and Postcolonial studies and documentary theory and practice.
I am currently working on a book based on my PhD. research: Outsiders Within: Palestinian Filmmaking in Israel. I also continue an on-going research about the Haredi (Ultra-Orthodox) cinema in Israel. Both of these topics are related to types of minority and counter-hegemonic cinema.